Monday, February 22, 2010

"Crazy Mommy" Moment


Do you ever say or do something and the minute after you have done it you kind of laugh and think "seriously, what was I thinking"? Well, that was me today. I took Kennedy and Kayleigh to the dentist to have their annual check-up. Well, I should say their bi-annual check-up because we missed their last appointment and life just sort of happened(time flies when you are living life at my house - or is that anywhere) and I find myself a year later calling to reschedule their appointments. Anyway, back to the issue at hand, so today we go to their appointment and I honestly was preparing myself for the worst "cavities" since asking an eleven and twelve year old to brush their teeth at night is like asking them to rip their hair out strand by strand. I mean seriously it sometimes turns into an argument with growling and whining (I am so getting bad mommy points right now because they are pre teens and we are fighting a battle that should have ended by kindergarten, but such is life at my home). Both children come out beaming with new toothbrushes in hand (I know, they hate to brush their teeth but are so happy for a new toothbrush - it makes absolutely no sense but I have learned there are some things you just don't question) and the dental hygenist just smiles and says "There teeth look great and neither one of them have any cavities".

Ok, this is where I am going to insert my "crazy mommy" moment: Instead of me smiling and saying "oh, that is great. I am so proud of you guys" I choose to say "Are you kidding me? Well, I was kind of hoping a lesson would be learned today because I have been giving them a hard time about not taking care of their teeth." I know, I thought it too!!!!! I mean, I acted like a nut because my kids didn't have cavities and I wasn't going to have to spend more money to get their teeth fixed. I made absolutely no sense and I could tell that the ladies at the clinic were thinking the same thing "This mother is crazy!!!!!!!!". Kennedy and Kayleigh just smiled making it harder for me to digest the crazy words that I had spoken. As we walked out to the car Kennedy (my son who will turn 13 on Thursday) said "Hey mom, we just saved you loads of money by not having any cavities. You could pay us for good teeth like you pay us for good grades." All I could do was smile and laugh.

No comments: